Friday, November 15, 2013

Aloo Bhindi gravy

Monday, August 22, 2011


 
Aloo-bhendi-masala
     I got this recipe from my friend Sangeeta, she was so sweet to mail me a complete ‘North Indian Thali menu. The menu was so simple and I will soon post that. But first I thought of posting this recipe in my blog. I always wanted to try aloo and bhidi combo for long time. And she read my mind!

    This recipe was so simple and the taste was awesome! I had it with roti and I am sure it will go well with any plain pulao or steamed rice and a simple dal tadka. In this recipe, you can also get a greenish coloured gravy by increasing the coriander leaves,which tastes great too! So try by yourself and enjoy!
aloo-bhindi-1

Ingredients

Ladies finger(small)12-14
Potato1 or 2
Oil4 tblsp
Red chilli powder1/2 tsp
Coriander powder2 tsp
Garam masala powder3/4 tsp
Turmeric1/8 tsp
saltAs needed
To grind
Onion2
Tomato2
Green chilli4-5
Garlic flakes(small)6-7
Coriander leaves2 tblsp
To temper
OilAs needed
Jeera1 tsp

   

Method:

  1. Chop onion,tomatoes roughly,peel the garlic and grind everything under “to grind” table to a smooth paste.Clean the ladies finger and pat dry it using a kitchen towel. Cut the head and tail of it and slit it in the middle to check.
  2. ab1-horz
  3. Heat a pan and add 2 tblsp of oil and arrange these ladies finger and cook in medium-low flame.Turn/toss to ensure even cooking. carefully drain the ladies finger from oil.
  4. ab2-horz
  5. Arrange peeled and round cut potatoes and cook them till golden and soft.Drain from oil.Temper with jeera.
  6. ab3-horz
  7. Add the ground paste and add all the masala powders-red chilli,garam masala,coriander and turmeric. Add salt.Mix well and fry in medium flame until oil oozes out and raw smell goes away.ab4-horz
  8. Add the fried ladies finger and potaoes and add 1/2 cup water and mix.Boil in medium flame for 2-3 minutes until the masala coats the potatoes and ladies finger.
  9. ab5-horz

Garnish with coriander leaves if desired and serve with roti or mild pulavs.

Aloo-bhindi-gravy

Notes:
  • Fry in medium flame with generous oil. So that the bhendi and aloo gets cooked.
  • A reader suggested doing this part in microwave oven,to avoid excess oil. I have to try myself,but felt its a good idea.
  • I was first doubtful how it would taste,but then the bhendi and aloo was really good with the masala,when ate together. Totally enjoyed it! Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment